Thrift store catches fire in Portsmouth
Portsmouth, Va. – Crews are working to find the cause of a business fire that happened early Friday morning in Portsmouth.
The call came in at 5:30 a.m. on Friday, February 15, 2013. Heavy smoke was seen coming from P-Town Thrift, located at 3935 Turnpike Road.
Crews arrived on scene to find a small fire, and were able to extinguish it quickly, officials say. The store sprinkler system was activated. Crews say the store owner attempted to use a garden hose to put out the fire, but was overwhelmed. The store owner was not injured.
Because of a concrete wall, the fire did not spread to a neighboring business.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
Watch NewsChannel 3 at Noon for details.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words