Thrift store catches fire in Portsmouth
Portsmouth, Va. – Crews are working to find the cause of a business fire that happened early Friday morning in Portsmouth.
The call came in at 5:30 a.m. on Friday, February 15, 2013. Heavy smoke was seen coming from P-Town Thrift, located at 3935 Turnpike Road.
Crews arrived on scene to find a small fire, and were able to extinguish it quickly, officials say. The store sprinkler system was activated. Crews say the store owner attempted to use a garden hose to put out the fire, but was overwhelmed. The store owner was not injured.
Because of a concrete wall, the fire did not spread to a neighboring business.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
Watch NewsChannel 3 at Noon for details.
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Suffolk mom targeted by online child porn scam
- Couple calls 911 after they don't get hash brown order at McDonald's