Shipyard cuts on the horizon
With the sequestration hammer set to fall in just two weeks Congress has given itself the next week off.
Congress members will be on recess as tens of thousands of jobs in Virginia alone hang in the balance.
The Navy’s planned budget cuts of $10.3 billion will hit hardest in the Commonwealth’s shipyards and involve the cancellation of 22 ship repairs and modernizations.
The affected ships are likely to include the USS Abraham Lincoln and the USS Theodore Roosevelt.
The USS Truman’s deployment was also cancelled last week because of budget cuts.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations