James River Bridge weekend closures
Single-lane, weekend closures, for both north- and southbound traffic will begin on Friday, Feb. 15, beginning at 9 p.m., and continue until Monday, Feb. 18, at 5 a.m., weather conditions permitting.
Maritime traffic will also be affected during the weekend of Feb. 15.
The bi-directional, single-lane traffic plan will be in place so that both north- and southbound traffic can cross the bridge while crews work to replace the two standby diesel generators. Motorists should anticipate delays in both directions, avoid the area if possible, and use the I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel as an alternate route.
The Route 17 James River Bridge Generator Replacement Project involves replacing the two standby diesel generators that serve as emergency backup power to operate the lift span in the event of power failure. VDOT awarded W.F. McGann of Portsmouth, Virginia the contract for $1.2 million with an estimated completion date of October 2013.
Motorists are encouraged to call 511 or the Traffic Information Line at 757-361-3016, visit http://www.511virginia.org, or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 1680 AM for current traffic and travel information.
For additional project information please click here.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen