Coast Guard hearings underway to investigate sinking of HMS Bounty
Portsmouth, Va. – Coast Guard hearings are underway in Portsmouth to investigate the sinking of the HMS Bounty. That ship sank off the coast of Hatteras, North Carolina during Hurricane Sandy.
NewsChannel 3 investigator Mike Mather is inside the hearing and reports the Bounty first mate said the Bounty’s captain thought staying to the east of Sandy – and heading for Hatteras – was the safest way to weather the hurricane.
Crew members also report the Bounty’s captain fell in rough seas, and hurt his back, limiting his mobility.
The hearing is expected to last two days.
NewsChannel 3′s Mike Mather is reporting live, view his Tweets below:
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- UPDATE: Crews free stuck cargo ship