Coast Guard hearings underway to investigate sinking of HMS Bounty
Portsmouth, Va. – Coast Guard hearings are underway in Portsmouth to investigate the sinking of the HMS Bounty. That ship sank off the coast of Hatteras, North Carolina during Hurricane Sandy.
NewsChannel 3 investigator Mike Mather is inside the hearing and reports the Bounty first mate said the Bounty’s captain thought staying to the east of Sandy – and heading for Hatteras – was the safest way to weather the hurricane.
Crew members also report the Bounty’s captain fell in rough seas, and hurt his back, limiting his mobility.
The hearing is expected to last two days.
NewsChannel 3′s Mike Mather is reporting live, view his Tweets below:
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News
- Slain officer's text messages will be evidence at murder trial
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home