Hampton hair salon owner emotional after getting honored for community work
It was a big surprise as we walked in with our cameras rolling for the owner of Above All Hair Studio in Hampton.
Latonya Taliferro was wondering what was going on.
Someone sent us an email about all of the community activities Latonya is involved in like an annual back to school event that provides free hair styling and school supplies.
Latonya also helps out with the Foodbank’s Backpack program, which provides lunches for needy local elementary students.
She also participates in an organization active in community events, benefiting breast cancer support groups.
We presented her with a Newschannel 3 People Taking Action award and a $100 Visa gift card from our community partner Southern Bank.
All the recognition got Latonya pretty emotional. She fought back tears at being honored.
“And I just do it ’cause I love helping people, and I appreciate ya’ll loving me so much for all ya’ll done for me.”
Latonya says it’s simple why she gets involved: “That’s what God gives me to do. That’s what I was ordained by him to do, just to give to the community and be a blessing.”
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- The real story behind the ‘train selfie’ and the man kicked in head by ‘conductor’