Virginia Beach trainer discusses nutrition during pregnancy
By Holly Henry, WTKR/WGNT Online Producer
Jim White, owner of Jim White Fitness and Nutrition Studios in Virginia Beach, talks with Kristen Crowley about nutrition and exercise suggestions for pregnant women.
“What should I be eating while pregnant? How much is too much?” Jim answered several of Kristen Crowley’s questions and concerns on Monday morning’s show.
Jim recommends six servings per day of starches, and four servings per day of veggies. Also, Jim says a pregnant woman should not necessarily be “eating for two” – he says only an increase of 300 calories per day is necessary. That’s about as much as a slice of pizza!
Here’s a list of foods that should not be consumed during pregnancy: alcohol; caffeine; saccharine; artificial sugars; soft cheeses; raw fish; and mercury. Jim suggests women take a pre-natal vitamin to supplement their diet, as well.
If you have a food craving, Jim says go with it – however, be sure to have a variety of foods in your diet as opposed to eating the same thing.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Watch: Arizona pug takes on police K-9
- Man struck and killed by truck in Newport News; driver arrested