Heavy rain overnight Thursday, Feb. 7, and all day Friday, Feb. 8, contributed to the formation of a significant amount of potholes on I-264 in Norfolk from Waterside Avenue to Broad Creek Bridge, requiring immediate repair, crews tell NewsChannel 3.
This winter, contract crews patched potholes using cold-mix asphalt, a temporary material used to fill potholes quickly during colder months. Beginning this past weekend, crews were able to switch pothole patching materials from cold-mix to hot-mix asphalt to make more permanent repairs. While TME Enterprises, Incorporated is contracted by VDOT to perform regular maintenance on Southside Hampton Roads Interstates, the section of interstate that required emergency maintenance on Friday, Feb 8, was identified for larger scale rehabilitative concrete repair outside of the interstate maintenance contract’s scope.
Over the weekend, VDOT was able to move contract forces led by Curtis Contracting of West Point, Virginia to begin emergency concrete repairs on I-264 east between the Claiborne Avenue overpass and Ballentine Boulevard.
Crews used 188 cubic yards of concrete pavement patching materials this past weekend in that area. Contract crews will continue work in the area throughout the week, from Monday, Feb. 11, through Friday, Feb. 15, beginning at 8 p.m. each evening and continuing until 5 a.m. the following day.
Curtis Contracting is also the apparent low bidder of the large scale concrete rehabilitation contract on I-264 east in Norfolk currently slated to begin spring 2013. VDOT is working to expedite the formal contract award for this work to begin as soon as possible.
This I-264 contract is one of several contracts VDOT is currently pursuing to address Southside interstate conditions on I-64 and I-264:
• I-264 west from Claiborne Avenue to Broad Creek Bridge, Norfolk: COMPLETED
• I-64 east and west from I-64 HRBT to Tidewater Drive, Norfolk: ONGOING
• I-264 east from Broad Creek Bridge to Claiborne Avenue, Norfolk: UPCOMING
• I-264 east from Witchduck Road to Lynnhaven Parkway, Virginia Beach: ONGOING
• I-264 east from Lynnhaven Parkway to Parks Avenue, Virginia Beach: ONGOING
This past weekend, VDOT and contractor crews conducted emergency pothole patching operations using 56.5 tons of hot-mix asphalt at these locations:
• I-264 east, two right lanes from Claiborne Avenue to Broad Creek Bridge
• I-264 east, ramps and loops from Waterside Drive to Newtown Road
• I-264 east, two right lanes from Witchduck Road to Parks Avenue
• I-264 east, two left lanes from Witchduck Road to Lynnhaven Parkway
• I-264 west from Military Highway to Claiborne Avenue
• I-264 west, two right lanes from Campostella Avenue to Claiborne Avenue
• I-264 west, ramps and loops from Military Highway to Waterside Drive
• I-264 west, two right lanes From Parks Avenue to Withduck Road
• I-264 west, two left lanes from Parks Avenue to Laskin Road
• I-64 east, from HRBT to Tidewater Drive
• I-64 east, two left lanes from Norview Avenue to I-264 interchange
• I-64 west, from Northampton Boulevard to HRBT
• I-64 west, right three lanes, from I-264 interchange to Virginia Beach Boulevard
• I-464 north and south, from Military Highway to Oak Grove Road
• I-564 east and west, two left lanes, and the Terminal Boulevard ramp
• I-664 north and south on the Peninsula (all of the mainline and the ramps)
TME will continue to patch potholes on I-64, I-264 and I-564 through the week at the following locations:
• I-264 west, two left lanes from Claiborne Avenue to Broad Creek Bridge
• I-264 west, left lanes from Laskin Road to Witchduck Road
• I-264 east and west ramps and loops from Witchduck Road to Parks Avenue
• I-64/I-264 interchange ramps and loops
• I-564 east and west, right lanes
• I-564 Taussig Boulevard ramp and loops
Motorists should expect lanes to be reduced in these areas around the clock, outside of morning and evening rush hour.
For more information on potholes, visit: http://www.virginiadot.org/info/faq-potholes.asp.
Motorists are encouraged to visit http://www.511virginia.org, call 511 or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 1680AM or call the Traffic Information Line at 757-361-3016 for current traffic and travel information.