Seven displaced in Suffolk duplex fire
Suffolk, Va. – Seven people were displaced from their homes and one person was injured in a fire at a duplex in Suffolk Monday afternoon.
Fire and Rescue personnel responded to the blaze in the 6000 block of Brookwood Drive in the College Square neighborhood at 3:54 pm and found the single-story structure fully engulfed.
It was initially believed a legally blind woman was in the home, as her son had injured his hand trying to get inside. He was treated at the scene and taken to the hospital by a family. Firefighters learned the woman was actually at a doctor appointment.
One unit in the duplex sustained heavy fire damage and the second unit had smoke and water damage. Three adults and two children were displaced in the unit where the fire originated, and an additional two adults were displaced in the second unit. All are being assisted by the Hampton Roads Chapter of the American Red Cross.
The Suffolk Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the cause of the fire.
- Hampton Roads veterans still waiting up to 30 months for disability claims
- You're eating more calories than you think
- Dolphins surf new submarine's bow wave (video)
- Beach stabbing victim: 'The knife was just in my back, like a ninja' (Video)
- College student from Yorktown wins $1 million lottery prize