Gilmerton Bridge to close this weekend
CHESAPEAKE – The Gilmerton Bridge (Route 13/Military Highway) in Chesapeake will close to all vehicular traffic this weekend beginning Friday, Feb. 8, at 8 p.m., through Monday, Feb. 11, at 5 a.m. for construction activities relating to the Gilmerton Bridge Replacement Project.
The bridge closure will not affect marine traffic.
Motorists should be advised that the Gilmerton Bridge is also closed weeknights, Sunday through Thursday, closing each night at 8 p.m. and opening each morning by 5 a.m. However, on the evening of Thursday, Feb. 14, the bridge will remain open.
Motorists are encouraged to use the Interstate 64 High Rise Bridge as the preferred alternate route. In addition, the new South Norfolk Jordan Bridge in Chesapeake can be used as a tolled alternate route. For more information about this option, visit http://www.snjb.net.
General information about the Gilmerton Bridge Replacement Project can be found at http://www.GilmertonBridge.org. For current traffic and travel information, motorists can also visit http://www.va511.org, call 511, or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 1680 AM.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found
- Grandma charged after leaving 6 young grandchildren alone in motel