Elizabeth River Crossings preps for severe weather
Portsmouth, VA – Elizabeth River Crossings is prepared for the forecasted snowfall and has mobilized additional staff and equipment to help keep the Downtown and Midtown Tunnels and associated roadways safe for motorists, officials tell NewsChannel 3.
Operations and maintenance staff, safety service patrols and supplemental staffing from contractor resources will be fully staged and on standby by 2:00 pm this afternoon and will remain staffed throughout the night. A contractor will also provide extra de-icing equipment and de-icing materials.
All plows and spreader equipment have been tested, and our maintenance team has conducted several dry runs in advance of any potential snowfall to help ensure commuter and employee safety.
Motorists are encouraged to monitor the weather and road conditions and to assess travel plans accordingly. For the latest road condition information at the Elizabeth River Tunnels and throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia, please call 511 or visit www.va511.com.
- Hampton Roads veterans still waiting up to 30 months for disability claims
- You're eating more calories than you think
- Dolphins surf new submarine's bow wave (video)
- Beach stabbing victim: 'The knife was just in my back, like a ninja' (Video)
- College student from Yorktown wins $1 million lottery prize