Newport News libraries donate over a ton to Foodbank
Newport News, Va. – Library patrons replaced their overdue fines with donations of 2,906 pounds of food and personal items over the 2012 holiday season, officials tell NewsChannel 3.
The Can Your Fines program allowed a nonperishable, nonexpired food item or personal item to take the place of a fine for overdue materials from Nov. 24 to Dec. 29, 2012, at all Newport News Public Libraries. All items collected were donated to the Foodbank of the Virginia Peninsula.
Can Your Fines applied to outstanding fines for long-overdue items that were returned, but did not apply to lost or damaged materials or to fees charged once an account had been sent to the collection agency.
The Newport News Public Library System’s Can Your Fines program has been a holiday tradition for more than 25 years.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified