Woman charged with reckless driving in fatal accident on I-64
Newport News, Va. – A 19-year-old woman from Henrico has been charged with reckless driving after a fatal accident and fire on I-64 near Lee Hall Avenue this morning.
State police say Anesha Daniel lost control of her 2005 Nissan ASL, ran off the right shoulder and struck a guardrail. Daniel had left her car and was trying to flag down someone for assistance when a tractor trailer traveling westbound was unable to avoid the accident in time.
The tractor trailer lost control and struck a 1999 Buick, pinning it against the guardrail and sparking a fire that engulfed both vehicles and spilling fuel on the roadway. The driver of the Buick died at the scene. State police are withholding his name until his family has been notified.
The driver of the tractor trailer, 51-year-old Darryl Bernard Lawrence of Norfolk, suffered non-life threatening injuries.
The fuel spill caused the westbound lanes to be shutdown and traffic to be rerouted for approximately six hours.
Daniel was charged with reckless driving, and police say alcohol was not a factor in the accident.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified