Giant 5.5 kilogram gold nugget discovered in Australia
A lucky prospector has found a giant, 5.5 kilogram gold nugget in Australia worth over $300,000.
The prospector found the nugget about 60 centimeters underground, according to the Herald Sun.
Ballarat Mining Exchange Gold Shop owner and dealer Cordell Kent said the prospector heard a faint noise on his detector and removed a dense pile of leaf mulch before he started digging.
“He thought he had detected the bonnet of a car when he saw a glint of gold,” Mr Kent said.
“He cleaned the top of it and the gold kept expanding and expanding … he saw more and more gold … he couldn’t believe what he was seeing.”
The nugget is worth about $282,000 in weight, but has an added premium because it is rare to find one over a kilogram, Mr Kent said.
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- One dead, eight hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- VIDEO: Why it's not a good idea to take selfies with moving trains