Giant 5.5 kilogram gold nugget discovered in Australia
A lucky prospector has found a giant, 5.5 kilogram gold nugget in Australia worth over $300,000.
The prospector found the nugget about 60 centimeters underground, according to the Herald Sun.
Ballarat Mining Exchange Gold Shop owner and dealer Cordell Kent said the prospector heard a faint noise on his detector and removed a dense pile of leaf mulch before he started digging.
“He thought he had detected the bonnet of a car when he saw a glint of gold,” Mr Kent said.
“He cleaned the top of it and the gold kept expanding and expanding … he saw more and more gold … he couldn’t believe what he was seeing.”
The nugget is worth about $282,000 in weight, but has an added premium because it is rare to find one over a kilogram, Mr Kent said.
- FBI agent kills alleged friend of Boston bombers in Orlando
- Woman and roommate accused of trying to cause miscarriage
- Gay Florida teenager faces charges over her underage girlfriend
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- Suffolk mother sentenced after mooning bus full of kids