Giant 5.5 kilogram gold nugget discovered in Australia
A lucky prospector has found a giant, 5.5 kilogram gold nugget in Australia worth over $300,000.
The prospector found the nugget about 60 centimeters underground, according to the Herald Sun.
Ballarat Mining Exchange Gold Shop owner and dealer Cordell Kent said the prospector heard a faint noise on his detector and removed a dense pile of leaf mulch before he started digging.
“He thought he had detected the bonnet of a car when he saw a glint of gold,” Mr Kent said.
“He cleaned the top of it and the gold kept expanding and expanding … he saw more and more gold … he couldn’t believe what he was seeing.”
The nugget is worth about $282,000 in weight, but has an added premium because it is rare to find one over a kilogram, Mr Kent said.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified