Elementary school placed on lockdown after bank robbery
Police say two men robbed the Wells Fargo Bank on Providence Road and Lord Dunmore Dr. at gunpoint Tuesday morning.
Both were wearing masks, gloves and hooded sweatshirts.
Police say they went into the bank around 10:30 am, and took off after getting money from a teller.
They drove off in a blue, Plymouth four-door, but abandoned it a short distance from the bank.
Police say the car had been reported stolen in Virginia Beach a few days ago.
No one was injured during the robbery, but with both men are armed and they’re still on the loose. Kempsville Elementary School was put on lockdown. The school is a mile from the bank.
According to a Virginia Beach Schools spokesperson, the school was placed on an external lockdown around 11 am which remained in effect until students were dismissed at 3 pm.
Students and staff were able to move around inside the school, but all exterior doors were locked with limited access allowed only through the front door.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time