Gilmerton Bridge re-opens ahead of schedule
CHESAPEAKE- The Gilmerton Bridge re-opened Monday, a week ahead of schedule.
The bridge was supposed to be closed for two weeks, from Jan. 7 until Jan 20, to accommodate the bridge lift span float-in and connection to the tower structures. .
Overnight bridge closures will resume Tuesday, Jan. 15, at 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through January 24. On Jan. 27, nightly closures from 8 p.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday through Thursday will resume until further notice to perform needed construction activities.
The newly opened bridge will give motorists the ability to access the recently completed southside span of the bridge as well as experience fewer lifts and less congestion. Mariners will also benefit from the bridge span due to its enhanced vertical clearance from 11 feet to 35 feet.
Additional work to the Gilmerton Bridge Replacement Project will include the demolition of the existing bridge and construction of the northside approaches, with completion scheduled for early 2014.
- Hampton Roads veterans still waiting up to 30 months for disability claims
- You're eating more calories than you think
- Dolphins surf new submarine's bow wave (video)
- Beach stabbing victim: 'The knife was just in my back, like a ninja' (Video)
- College student from Yorktown wins $1 million lottery prize