Gilmerton Bridge re-opens ahead of schedule
CHESAPEAKE- The Gilmerton Bridge re-opened Monday, a week ahead of schedule.
The bridge was supposed to be closed for two weeks, from Jan. 7 until Jan 20, to accommodate the bridge lift span float-in and connection to the tower structures. .
Overnight bridge closures will resume Tuesday, Jan. 15, at 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through January 24. On Jan. 27, nightly closures from 8 p.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday through Thursday will resume until further notice to perform needed construction activities.
The newly opened bridge will give motorists the ability to access the recently completed southside span of the bridge as well as experience fewer lifts and less congestion. Mariners will also benefit from the bridge span due to its enhanced vertical clearance from 11 feet to 35 feet.
Additional work to the Gilmerton Bridge Replacement Project will include the demolition of the existing bridge and construction of the northside approaches, with completion scheduled for early 2014.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Watch: Arizona pug takes on police K-9
- Man struck and killed by truck in Newport News; driver arrested