Scam Alert: Dominion warns about scam threatening people to pay overdue bills
Virginia Dominion Power says there is a scam going around that involves people being threatened if they don’t pay their overdue bills.
They say the person claims to be a company employee demanding immediate payment of utility bills.
The caller tells potential victims that their service will be cut off unless the bill is paid within a matter of hours.
They’ve been asking unsuspecting customers to pay by using a pre-paid debit card.
The caller may also claim that there is a problem with a customer’s electric meter that could result in a fire if not immediately replaced. They are telling people that if a payment is made to them now, they will pay Dominion later.
Be aware that Dominion may call customers who owe overdue bills, but they never ask for specific payment information. They only tell customers how to make a payment.
If you’ve received one of these improper calls, call 1-866-DOM-HELP and police.
Customers should ask to see an official Dominion ID from anyone who comes to their home claiming to work with the company.
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- FBI agent kills alleged friend of Boston bombers in Orlando
- Inside the Moore tornado: What it looked like from a storm shelter (Video)
- Update: Police officer kills man at Norfolk Wells Fargo; deceased suspect identified
- Woman and roommate accused of trying to cause miscarriage