Norfolk police officer arrested for DUI
Norfolk, Va. - A Norfolk police officer has been arrested for driving under the influence.
According to Virginia State Police, 29-year-old Nina L. Thomas of Chesapeake was arrested Wednesday morning on the Southbound Portsmouth Blvd. exit ramp from I-664 NB.
Thomas began working with the department in September of 2010. Police have not released any further information about the status of her employment.
State Police say she was arrested for DUI, refusal to take blood/breath test and felony assault on a law officer.
According to State Police, around 1:02 a.m. a trooper responded to a call about a crash. A 2010 Scion had crashed into the guardrail and spun around. They say the car was facing the wrong direction on the ramp.
Thomas was not injured.
Police say after administering a field sobriety test, Thomas became unresponsive and combative as troopers tried to place her under arrest. She was then arrested and taken to the Chesapeake City Jail.
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Woman's body found on Yorktown Beach
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million