Rottweiler turns on stove causing accidental fire in Beach home
Virginia Beach, Va.– Rooney the Rottweiler has been accused of accidentally starting a fire in Virginia Beach and burning down his owner’s Oceanfront home after turning on a stove.
Rooney was alone Wednesday afternoon. Mike McFarland, his owner, says the 2-year-old dog has had an awful week.
He has liver disease and has recently been put on medication, which McFarland says could explain his actions.
Rooney took off for about an hour after the fire after neighbors broke a window and pulled him out.
McFarland came home and could hardly believe what happened.
He says he’s not mad at Rooney, the playful dog is his best friend and he knows Rooney didn’t do it intentionally.
The home is ruined. Some things inside could be saved and are being packed up.
McFarland rented the bungalow five blocks off the ocean. With the stigma associated with Rottweilers, it was one of his only options.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified