Beach shooting suspect arrested
Virginia Beach, Va. – A man is now behind bars and facing multiple assault charges in Virginia Beach.
Police say on Friday, January 4, 2013, at approximately 6:50 p.m., Emergency Communications received numerous reports of gunshots in the area of the 5000 block of Virginia Beach Boulevard.
Callers reported seeing several possible suspects running from the area. When police arrived on scene, they found a suspect matching the description, putting an item in the trunk of a vehicle.
The officers conducted a felony traffic stop – and a stolen firearm was recovered. Several hours later, a victim walked into a local hospital with a non-life threatening gunshot wound to his leg. Investigators learned the victim was inside a business in the 5000 block of Virginia Beach Boulevard. The suspect approached the door to the business and a verbal altercation ensued with the victim. The suspect fired several shots and the victim was struck in the leg.
The suspect has been identified as 29-year-old Donte Lamont Harris, of the 900 block of Scott Street in Norfolk.
Harris has been charged with Aggravated Assault, Use of a Firearm, Receipt of a Stolen Firearm, Discharging a Firearm into an Occupied Dwelling, and Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon. He is currently being held in the Virginia Beach Correctional Center without bond.
This case remains under investigation.
Watch NewsChannel 3 for updates.
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says
- UPDATE: Train derailment near Princess Anne Road and Ballentine Blvd. in Norfolk
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Dominion Blvd. emergency closure in place
- Police investigating after man claiming workers' comp treated day before for sports injury