Norfolk man awoken by fire in his home
Norfolk, Va. – A Norfolk man was able to get out safely after he woke up smelling smoke and found his house on fire Sunday morning.
Norfolk Fire-Rescue say they received a call just after 6 a.m. of a house fire in the 300 block of Rogers Avenue near Naval Station Norfolk.
Norfolk Fire-Rescue and Naval Base Fire arrived on scene and found smoke showing from the house. The occupant of the home was outside and told crews the fire was in the utility room.
Firefighters found the fire and was able put it out quickly. The utility room sustained fire damage, but there was also smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.
Firefighters say the cause of the fire was due to combustibles too close to a heat source. The home had a smoke detector, but it was not working.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen