Local fire department reminds public on importance of smoke alarms
Newport News, Va. – The Newport News Fire Department wants to remind the public on the importance of having smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in homes throughout the city.
Early Saturday morning, one person managed to escape safely after a house in Newport News caught fire.
In a press release, the fire department says having properly installed and operable smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in the home continues to have life saving value.
Newport News Fire Department will install free smoke alarms for any Newport News homeowner. Just call the “Smoke Detector Hotline” at 757-926-8009 or visit their website at http://www.nngov.com/fire.