USS Gonzalez leaves Naval Station Norfolk
NORFOLK, Va. – Guided-missile destroyer USS Gonzalez (DDG 66) will depart Naval Station Norfolk on Friday, January 4, 2013.
The ship departs on a regularly scheduled deployment to conduct maritime operations in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations and is relieving USS Oscar Austin DDG 79).
The ship is led by Cmdr. Chris H. Inskeep and has a crew of approximately 276.
Commissioned on Oct. 12, 1996 Gonzalez is the 16th ship of the Arleigh Burke Class of aegis destroyers. The ship was named after Medal of Honor recipient Sgt. Freddy Gonzalez, a Marine killed in 1968, during the initial phase of Operation Hue City in Vietnam.
Be sure to watch NewsChannel 3 for coverage of the deployment.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen