Portsmouth safe ride program offered on New Year’s Eve
Portsmouth, Va. – This New Year’s Eve, citizens who wish to drink alcohol during holiday celebrations can take action against drunk driving – by using a designated driver. Portsmouth Sheriff Bill Watson will sponsor the New Year’s Eve Safe Ride Home Program.
Officials say the idea behind this program is to make the streets safer by taking people home that may have had too much to drink – and are unable to operate a motor vehicle safely.
Those who are interested may call for a ride between the hours of 10:00 p.m. on December 31, 2012, and 2:30 a.m. on January 1, 2013.
No questions will be asked, and transportation will be furnished within a ten mile radius of the City of Portsmouth.
Pick up will only be within the city limits of Portsmouth.
SHERIFF CONTACT NUMBER FOR RIDES: 757-393-5030.
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach