USS Mahan deploys
Norfolk, Va. – The guided-missile destroyer USS Mahan (DDG 72) departed Naval Station Norfolk, Dec. 28, (Friday) for a deployment to the U.S. 6th Fleet Area of Responsibility to participate in Ballistic Missile Defense operations.
The crew, led by Cmdr. Adam Aycock, has been preparing for this deployment since they received the Ballistic Missile Defense upgrade during the ship’s 2011 Maintenance Availability upon returning from their Scan Eagle deployment in 2011.
Commissioned in 1998, Mahan is the fourth ship named after Alfred Thayer Mahan, who is considered to be the father of all modern navies.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News
- Slain officer's text messages will be evidence at murder trial
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home