USS Mahan deploys
Norfolk, Va. – The guided-missile destroyer USS Mahan (DDG 72) departed Naval Station Norfolk, Dec. 28, (Friday) for a deployment to the U.S. 6th Fleet Area of Responsibility to participate in Ballistic Missile Defense operations.
The crew, led by Cmdr. Adam Aycock, has been preparing for this deployment since they received the Ballistic Missile Defense upgrade during the ship’s 2011 Maintenance Availability upon returning from their Scan Eagle deployment in 2011.
Commissioned in 1998, Mahan is the fourth ship named after Alfred Thayer Mahan, who is considered to be the father of all modern navies.
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Woman's body found on Yorktown Beach
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million