5 charged for fighting inside Newport News mall
Newport News, Va. – Police have charged five people for a brawl inside Patrick Henry Mall on Thursday night – four of them are teens.
The 18-year-old involved in the fight has been identified as Maurice Wilbor Chapman Jr., of the 100 block of Ash Avenue in Newport News. Chapman was given a summons. He is charged with trespassing and has been released from custody.
It started around 7 p.m. Thursday night, December 28, 2012. The mall was evacuated. More than 45 police officers from all three of the city’s precincts responded to the scene.
The mall closed down for the night upon evacuation.
Though no one was seriously hurt, police say a mall worker and customer did have minor injuries. They were not hospitalized.
There will be an increased police presence at the mall and surrounding areas on Friday, December 28, 2012, Newport News police tell NewsChannel 3.
Watch NewsChannel 3 for updates.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Watch: Arizona pug takes on police K-9
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales