5 charged for fighting inside Newport News mall
Newport News, Va. – Police have charged five people for a brawl inside Patrick Henry Mall on Thursday night – four of them are teens.
The 18-year-old involved in the fight has been identified as Maurice Wilbor Chapman Jr., of the 100 block of Ash Avenue in Newport News. Chapman was given a summons. He is charged with trespassing and has been released from custody.
It started around 7 p.m. Thursday night, December 28, 2012. The mall was evacuated. More than 45 police officers from all three of the city’s precincts responded to the scene.
The mall closed down for the night upon evacuation.
Though no one was seriously hurt, police say a mall worker and customer did have minor injuries. They were not hospitalized.
There will be an increased police presence at the mall and surrounding areas on Friday, December 28, 2012, Newport News police tell NewsChannel 3.
Watch NewsChannel 3 for updates.
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Suffolk mom targeted by online child porn scam
- Couple calls 911 after they don't get hash brown order at McDonald's