Family loses home to kitchen fire
Virginia Beach, Va. – A family of six has been displaced from their home after a fire in their kitchen Friday evening.
The Virginia Beach Fire Department says the call for the fire came in just after 7 p.m. at the 5500 block of Rutledge Road in the Charlestown Lakes section of the city.
There were two adults and four children at home at the time. Smoke detectors in the house alerted the family to the fire and everyone managed to escape safely. Firefighters were able to rescue the family’s two cats and one dog.
The house sustained heavy fire damage in the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.
The Red Cross responded to the scene and will be assisting them in finding a place to stay.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- UPDATE: Crews free stuck cargo ship