USS Iwo Jima, USS New York to return to Naval Station Norfolk
Norfolk, Va. – Today, both the USS Iwo Jima and the USS New York will pull in to Naval Station Norfolk.
The USS Iwo Jima and the USS New York are now finished with the top secret, dangerous mission they set sail to complete back in March.
And four days before Christmas – the sailors are not far from home anymore.
It’s been a long time coming, because these sailors were supposed to be back for Thanksgiving – but unrest in the Middle East kept them in place longer.
Today, the tears of sadness turn in to tears of joy.
The ships are part of the Amphibious Squadron Number Eight.
USS Iwo Jima has done this before, but it was the USS New York’s first time.
And USS New York carried something important – the front of the ship was built with steel from the Twin Towers, brought down in 2001.
NewsChannel 3 will be pierside for the return of both ships.
- 339 gallons of moonshine, 18 weapons seized from Danville ranch
- Home invasion, then a break-in at Chesapeake home
- Two charged after children found in padlocked camper in deplorable conditions
- Facebook comments may have led to at least one of the Eastern Shore arsons
- Portsmouth man accused of assaulting woman, leaving infant in woods