Man fires 50 shots in the air in a California mall parking lot
A man stood in the parking lot of a shopping mall in Southern California on Saturday and fired 50 shots into the air.
Police didn’t say why, but his actions prompted many stores in the open-air Fashion Island mall in Newport Beach to lock their doors.
No one was hurt by the bullets raining down, but one person suffered minor injuries while trying to flee the area, police said.
Newport Beach Police quickly took the man, 42-year-old Marcos Sarinana Gurrola, into custody, but not before calling in the bomb squad when the man said he had more ammunition in the trunk of his car.
Patrick Wyrick was returning to his car when he heard the shots and, from behind the safety of his car, began capturing the scene with camera.
“I wasn’t sure they were real or not. Then a heard another set of shots and then another,” he said in a video he posted on YouTube.
“My wife and daughter were at an ice cream shop in the mall when the shooting happened. They ended up running and screaming with everyone toward the opposite side of the mall.”
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- ‘Little hero’ uses Facetime to save his mom