USS Carter Hall sailor dies after fall
A sailor assigned to the USS Carter Hall died Wednesday night from injuries sustained from a fall in the ship’s well deck while underway off the East Coast of North Carolina.
Following lifesaving efforts by the ship’s emergency medical team, the Sailor was evacuated via Navy helicopter to Pitt Memorial Trauma Center in Greenville, N.C. where he was pronounced dead.
An investigation is ongoing.
Notification of next of kin is complete, but the Sailor’s name will not be released until after 24 hours in order to respect the privacy of the family.
Navy officials say USS Carter Hall remains underway conducting operations as part of the USS Bataan Amphibious Ready Group training event.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen