USS Carter Hall sailor dies after fall
A sailor assigned to the USS Carter Hall died Wednesday night from injuries sustained from a fall in the ship’s well deck while underway off the East Coast of North Carolina.
Following lifesaving efforts by the ship’s emergency medical team, the Sailor was evacuated via Navy helicopter to Pitt Memorial Trauma Center in Greenville, N.C. where he was pronounced dead.
An investigation is ongoing.
Notification of next of kin is complete, but the Sailor’s name will not be released until after 24 hours in order to respect the privacy of the family.
Navy officials say USS Carter Hall remains underway conducting operations as part of the USS Bataan Amphibious Ready Group training event.
- Update: Police officer kills man at Norfolk Wells Fargo; deceased suspect identified
- Mom forces bullying daughter to don thrift store threads
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- Virginia Beach man charged with wife's murder
- 51 killed in mammoth Oklahoma tornado; 40 more bodies expected