3 mile backup on I-64E at HRBT — Avoid delays with our interactive traffic map and traffic cams

Crews say dry Christmas tree caught fire inside Suffolk home

Crews say a dry Christmas tree caught fire inside a Suffolk home.

Crews say a dry Christmas tree caught fire inside a Suffolk home.

Crews say a dry Christmas tree caught fire inside a Suffolk home.

Crews say a dry Christmas tree caught fire inside a Suffolk home.

SUFFOLK, Virginia – The cause of a Suffolk house fire has been ruled as accidental, officials tell NewsChannel 3.

It happened on Tuesday, December 11, 2012. Suffolk Fire and Rescue crews were dispatched to a two-story residential structure fire in the 1100 block of Bethlehem Street in downtown Suffolk around 10:30 p.m.

Units responded to the scene, and reported heavy fire on the first and second floor. No residents were home at the time of the fire; no injuries were reported. Three engine companies, one ladder truck, one rescue unit, and one medic unit responded to the scene.

The Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that the cause of the fire was accidental. Officials say it appeared that the fire started in the area where a live Christmas tree was located. The tree had been put up right after Thanksgiving, but had not been watered, allowing it to dry out. The Red Cross is assisting the two adult occupants.

Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates, as they are released.


Related Stories


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 15,789 other followers