Man sentenced in brutal beating of Suffolk police officer
Suffolk, Va. – The man who nearly beat a police officer to death earlier this year was sentenced today.
On Monday, December 10, 2012, Joe Staton was sentenced to life in prison, plus 40 years.
Joe Staton brutally beat Suffolk police officer James Winslow during a traffic stop back in May.
Staton was pulled over for driving a stolen SUV. He ran off – and Officer Winslow chased him into the woods where the attack happened.
Staton avoided attempted capital murder charges as part of a plea deal.
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- The real story behind the ‘train selfie’ and the man kicked in head by ‘conductor’