William Shatner won’t beam aboard the USS Enterprise for inactivation ceremony
Captain Kirk is no longer planning to appear at the inactivation ceremony for the USS Enterprise.
According to a report in The Virginian Pilot, William Shatner was forced to change his schedule after initially planning to attend the ceremony. The 81-year-old actor will perform tonight at the Ferguson Center for the Arts in Newport News.
Prior to the cancellation, word of Shatner’s planned appearance spread quickly Thursday among excited crew members serving aboard the ship. Among them is a young sailor named James Kirk, who was reportedly the subject of many jokes during the ship’s final voyage.
He’s not the captain, though. This Kirk is a petty officer second class, a machinist, and he does plan to attend.
- Man accused of stealing from dying friend now a fugitive
- UPDATE: Bonner Bridge closes over safety concerns
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Washington and Lee student killed, 9 injured in crash
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says