Chesapeake dentist arrested for bad checks pays former employees
A Chesapeake dentist arrested for writing bad checks to former employees paid up ahead of his Monday morning arraignment on the charges.
“If he was not forced to pay me, he would not have paid me,” said Andrea Ross, Broadaway’s former business manager who contacted NewsChannel 3 about the paycheck problem weeks ago. “I didn’t think it would ever get to this point.”
Ross said she and former co-worker Sharon Cobb received certified checks Wednesday from Broadaway for the full amount of the paychecks that bounced. The women had tried for weeks to get answers from Broadaway before finally pressing charges against him before Thanksgiving. He is now facing four felony bad checks charges.
“I never thought we would have had to get to the point where we’d have to press charges against him,” Ross said.
After NewsChannel 3 began investigating Broadaway for the bad checks, NewsChannel uncovered the dentist’s 14-year-long history of violations with the Virginia Board of Dentistry. In June the board suspended him for 60 days and fined him $20,000, partly because of questionable root canal work.
Broadaway will still have to appear in Chesapeake court for a preliminary hearing on the charges in January 2013.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified