Man accused of desertion from Joint Base Langley-Eustis arrested in SC
According to Darlington County officials, a man who was wanted for alleged desertion from Joint Base Langley-Eustis has been arrested.
He has been identified as 19-year-old Andrew Jackson.
They say Jackson was initially pulled over for a traffic violation on I-20 near the Timmonsville Hwy exit.
Officials say he was cited for possession of a small amount of marijuana. Authorities on scene then discovered that the man was wanted for desertion.
Crews searched his vehicle and also found large quantities of an unidentified, “flammable substance.”
Crews shut the area down and a SLED bomb squad was called in. Officials say they conducted a lawful search of the vehicle’s trunk and found five to seven gasoline jugs of an unknown, flammable liquid.
They say the bomb squad’s role was to ensure that no explosive trigger devices were present in the trunk.
Highway Patrol directed traffic as I-20, from mile markers 131 to 139, was shut down to accommodate SLED crews.
The eastbound lanes of I-20 have been reopened.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- "Katherine" the 14-foot-long shark could be headed to Virginia Beach
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- Who wrote it -- man or woman? Take our handwriting quiz!