Navy prepares for Hurricane Sandy
Norfolk, VA (CNRMA) – As a precautionary measure the Navy ordered all installations in the Hampton Roads area to set Tropical Cyclone Condition Four as Hurricane Sandy is forecast to bring high winds and rain to the Mid-Atlantic coast. Tropical Cyclone Condition Four means destructive winds of greater than 50 knots associated with a tropical system, are expected within 72 hours.
Rear Admiral Tim Alexander, Commander Navy Region Mid-Atlantic, issued the order at noon today.
Some preparations include securing all hazards throughout the installations and removing debris from drainage areas.
Navy personnel and their families are encouraged to review their hurricane checklists and evacuation plans to prepare for the storm.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach