30-year-old man drowns at Yorktown Beach
Yorktown, Va. – Virginia Marine Police say John Haywood, 30, of Hayes was fishing in a boat with friends around 8:30 p.m. Saturday near Yorktown Beach.
At some point, Haywood decided to swim to shore to go to a bar.
He stayed at the bar several hours and left around 2:30 a.m.
Haywood put on a life jacket and began swimming back to the boat, and was found unresponsive a few feet from the boat.
Haywood was transported to the hospital and pronounced deceased around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen