30-year-old man drowns at Yorktown Beach
Yorktown, Va. – Virginia Marine Police say John Haywood, 30, of Hayes was fishing in a boat with friends around 8:30 p.m. Saturday near Yorktown Beach.
At some point, Haywood decided to swim to shore to go to a bar.
He stayed at the bar several hours and left around 2:30 a.m.
Haywood put on a life jacket and began swimming back to the boat, and was found unresponsive a few feet from the boat.
Haywood was transported to the hospital and pronounced deceased around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- UPDATE: "Katherine" the Great White Shark spotted in the surf off Kitty Hawk
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Some mail sent to sailors aboard the USS Harry S. Truman was lost at sea
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly