Husband of former Virginia Beach Mayor Oberndorf passes away
Roger Oberndorf, husband of Virginia Beach’s longest-serving mayor, Mayor Meyera Oberndorf, died Wednesday morning.
Virginia Beach City Spokesperson, Mary G. Hancock, confirmed the news to NewsChannel 3 Wednesday morning.
On Tuesday afternoon, Mayor Will Sessoms warned council members Roger was “gravely ill.”
According to the birthdate on Roger Oberndorf’s Facebook page, he was 76 years old.
Roger was the “first husband” of Virginia Beach for two decades. His wife, Meyera, was the first woman elected to Virginia Beach City Council, winning office in 1976. She won mayor in 1988 and held that office until the 2008 election, defeated by the current mayor, Mayor Will Sessoms.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen