Husband of former Virginia Beach Mayor Oberndorf passes away
Roger Oberndorf, husband of Virginia Beach’s longest-serving mayor, Mayor Meyera Oberndorf, died Wednesday morning.
Virginia Beach City Spokesperson, Mary G. Hancock, confirmed the news to NewsChannel 3 Wednesday morning.
On Tuesday afternoon, Mayor Will Sessoms warned council members Roger was “gravely ill.”
According to the birthdate on Roger Oberndorf’s Facebook page, he was 76 years old.
Roger was the “first husband” of Virginia Beach for two decades. His wife, Meyera, was the first woman elected to Virginia Beach City Council, winning office in 1976. She won mayor in 1988 and held that office until the 2008 election, defeated by the current mayor, Mayor Will Sessoms.
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says
- UPDATE: Train derailment near Princess Anne Road and Ballentine Blvd. in Norfolk
- VB Navy SEAL arrested for selling military weapons, ammunition
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Dominion Blvd. emergency closure in place