Husband of former Virginia Beach Mayor Oberndorf passes away
Roger Oberndorf, husband of Virginia Beach’s longest-serving mayor, Mayor Meyera Oberndorf, died Wednesday morning.
Virginia Beach City Spokesperson, Mary G. Hancock, confirmed the news to NewsChannel 3 Wednesday morning.
On Tuesday afternoon, Mayor Will Sessoms warned council members Roger was “gravely ill.”
According to the birthdate on Roger Oberndorf’s Facebook page, he was 76 years old.
Roger was the “first husband” of Virginia Beach for two decades. His wife, Meyera, was the first woman elected to Virginia Beach City Council, winning office in 1976. She won mayor in 1988 and held that office until the 2008 election, defeated by the current mayor, Mayor Will Sessoms.
- Update: Police officer kills man at Norfolk Wells Fargo; deceased suspect identified
- Mom forces bullying daughter to don thrift store threads
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- At least 24 killed in mammoth tornado; more bodies expected
- Virginia Beach man charged with wife's murder