Cooking demos, classes for military families held in Virginia Beach
Today, military families will have the opportunity to learn some new cooking and culinary skills.
Whole Foods Market, Virginia Beach will honor and celebrate military families with private cooking classes throughout the day on Wednesday, October 17th.
The event is from 9:30 a.m. until 6:15 p.m. at JEB – Little Creek USO Center.
Event officials say attendees can sharpen up their knives and kitchen skills. The event is hosted by Whole Foods Market chef, Erik “Egg” Berlin. The interactive and hands-on classes teach participants culinary basics, safety, value shopping and cooking as well as showcases new products hitting the new store’s shelves.
From seasonal fare to hearty welcome home meals – attendees will also learn abundance about food and how to best prepare. Featured menu items include: seared steak with Brazilian chimichurri, sautéed apple and pear crisp, smoked turkey and root vegetable stew.
Additionally, the family-friendly event will feature fun cooking activities for kids such as how to prepare guacamole and salsa. The classes serve as a platform for teaching good eating habits, nutritional value, and how to prepare healthy meals.
Headlining the event is Whole Foods Market chef, Erik “Egg” Berlin.
Event officials say Chef Egg began the program at Whole Foods Market Silver Spring as an extension of his military outreach at Walter Reed Hospital where he had been teaching culinary physical therapy for three years. His goal is to supply the Wounded Warrior Program with the culinary skills to care for themselves and their families.
WHEN: TODAY, October 17th, 2012
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. : Wounded Warrior Cooking Class at Little Creek featuring on the menu- smoked turkey and root vegetable stew with whole grain bread
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. : Family Ready – Support Group for Families featuring on the menu- fresh fruit cutting, hands on taco activity with guacamole and salsa
- 5:15 p.m. – 6:15 p.m. : Fleet and Families Group – Support Group for Families featuring hubby comes home themed menu with dishes such as seared steak with Brazilian chimichurri, autumn salad
WHERE: JEB – Little Creek USO Center, 1604 Amphibious Drive, Norfolk, VA 23521 - (757) 222-0472.
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video