Suspect arrested in Saturday morning homicide
Doren Ellis Lee
Newport News, Va. – Doren Ellis Lee turned himself in to police late Saturday night. He was wanted for shooting and killing a man in the area of 55 Colony Square Court shortly after 1:00am Saturday.
When police arrived at the scene of the shooting, they found 49-year-old Patrick McWanza Hewett lying on the ground suffering gunshot wounds.
Hewett was transported to the hospital and pronounced dead at 1:54am.
Warrants obtained against Lee are for murder, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and possession of a firearm by felon.
This is the city’s 16th homicide for the year.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- One person rushed to hospital after double shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'