Newport News man arrested in fatal hit-and-run
Timothy Jason Walker
Newport News, Va. – Newport News police have arrested a man after a fatal hit-and-run accident near the area of Jefferson Ave. and Woodcreek Drive.
At about 5:30 am a police officer was patrolling the area when he found a man’s body lying on the shoulder of the road that appeared to have been struck by a vehicle.
The victim, 22-year-old Russell Todd Neff, was pronounced dead at the scene.
About 6:10 A.M. York County Sheriff’s Deputies notified officers investigating the crash that they had located a possible suspect vehicle. Officers responded to York County and were able to identify the driver of the 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe that struck the victim.
35-year-old Timothy Jason Walker has been charged with one count each of driving under the influence of alcohol, texting while driving and felony hit and run. Evidence will be presented to the Commonwealth’s Attorney’ Office to determine if additional charges will be obtained.
Walker was placed in the custody of the Newport News City Jail without bond.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- "Katherine" the 14-foot-long shark could be headed to Virginia Beach
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- Who wrote it -- man or woman? Take our handwriting quiz!