Newport News man arrested in fatal hit-and-run
Timothy Jason Walker
Newport News, Va. – Newport News police have arrested a man after a fatal hit-and-run accident near the area of Jefferson Ave. and Woodcreek Drive.
At about 5:30 am a police officer was patrolling the area when he found a man’s body lying on the shoulder of the road that appeared to have been struck by a vehicle.
The victim, 22-year-old Russell Todd Neff, was pronounced dead at the scene.
About 6:10 A.M. York County Sheriff’s Deputies notified officers investigating the crash that they had located a possible suspect vehicle. Officers responded to York County and were able to identify the driver of the 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe that struck the victim.
35-year-old Timothy Jason Walker has been charged with one count each of driving under the influence of alcohol, texting while driving and felony hit and run. Evidence will be presented to the Commonwealth’s Attorney’ Office to determine if additional charges will be obtained.
Walker was placed in the custody of the Newport News City Jail without bond.
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- ‘Little hero’ uses Facetime to save his mom