Why is VDOT closing two bridges on the same weekend?
The Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel eastbound is notorious for being at a standstill, this weekend you don’t even get the option.
Crews are putting down new asphalt. The James River Bridge is completely closed as the steel deck portion of it is being replaced.
So why is VDOT closing two bridges in the same weekend?
“We actually tried to start in May, but we hit a lot of issues with graduations. We were told to postpone until the fall time,” said Mike Davis with VDOT.
So VDOT didn’t want closing the HRBT to mess up travelers’ summer vacation plans to the beach. That part makes sense.
But why did the James River Bridge have to be closed the same three weekends?
“At the same time at JRB, the contractor came out and was able to acquire the material for the grid deck faster than we anticipated,” Davis said.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery