State Trooper hit by drunk driver overnight
Last night, police say a state trooper was hit by a drunk driver in Chesapeake, on the south side of the Gilmerton Bridge, Route 13.
It happened around 1:30 a.m. Police say Sergeant V. Smith was inside a workzone area on the Gilmerton Bridge with his emergency lights on, when a Jeep Grand Cherokee went around the work zone barricade and slammed head on into his vehicle.
Police have charged 24-year-old Billinda Colonna of the 35000 block of Seacock Chapel Road in Zuni, Virginia. She faces charges for DUI maiming. Police say Colonna had a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of .08 percent.
According to officials, Colonna was not injured in the crash.
Sgt. Smith was taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates as they are available.
- Community helps family who lost father while treating two kids with cancer
- Portsmouth man accused of assaulting woman, leaving infant in woods
- Home invasion, then a break-in at Chesapeake home
- Three from Hampton Roads indicted in 7-Eleven immigration raids
- Woman sentenced to death set to walk free, go shopping with victim's grandson