State Trooper hit by drunk driver overnight
Last night, police say a state trooper was hit by a drunk driver in Chesapeake, on the south side of the Gilmerton Bridge, Route 13.
It happened around 1:30 a.m. Police say Sergeant V. Smith was inside a workzone area on the Gilmerton Bridge with his emergency lights on, when a Jeep Grand Cherokee went around the work zone barricade and slammed head on into his vehicle.
Police have charged 24-year-old Billinda Colonna of the 35000 block of Seacock Chapel Road in Zuni, Virginia. She faces charges for DUI maiming. Police say Colonna had a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of .08 percent.
According to officials, Colonna was not injured in the crash.
Sgt. Smith was taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates as they are available.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- UPDATE: Crews free stuck cargo ship