Suspect accused of killing man at Norfolk Rite Aid appears in court
The man arrested after police say he shot and killed another man at a Norfolk Rite Aid was formally charged in court today.
Bernell Duval Benn is charged with murder and use of a firearm.
NewsChannel 3 spoke to him shortly after his arrest last month.
Norfolk police say he shot and killed Ramon Colorado after the two started arguing over a place in line.
It happened at the Rite Aid on Tidewater Drive on August 16th.
Benn spoke to NewsChannel 3 from the Norfolk Jail and said Colorado shot first, and Benn fired back in self-defense.
But investigators say Benn fired first after Colorado pepper sprayed him.
Bernell Benn has a preliminary hearing set for November 14th.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen