Suspect accused of killing man at Norfolk Rite Aid appears in court
The man arrested after police say he shot and killed another man at a Norfolk Rite Aid was formally charged in court today.
Bernell Duval Benn is charged with murder and use of a firearm.
NewsChannel 3 spoke to him shortly after his arrest last month.
Norfolk police say he shot and killed Ramon Colorado after the two started arguing over a place in line.
It happened at the Rite Aid on Tidewater Drive on August 16th.
Benn spoke to NewsChannel 3 from the Norfolk Jail and said Colorado shot first, and Benn fired back in self-defense.
But investigators say Benn fired first after Colorado pepper sprayed him.
Bernell Benn has a preliminary hearing set for November 14th.
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- One dead, eight hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- VIDEO: Why it's not a good idea to take selfies with moving trains