Philadelphia Style Vanilla Ice Cream – Yield, 1 quart
2 Cups Heavy Crea
2 Cups Half and Half
1 ¼ Cups Granulated Sugar
½ Each Vanilla Bean or 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Split vanilla bean in half and scrap seeds with the back of the knife.
- Combine half and half, sugar, vanilla bean seeds and the pod in a pan and heat until scalding (can see steam and bubbles appear on edges)
- Pull from stove and pour into cold cream, add extract if using extract.
- Chill over ice bath or overnight, if chilling overnight, leave vanilla bean pod in the mix!
- When chilled, remove pod and save. (See note below)*
- Freeze in ice cream machine according to manufactures directions.
- Transfer to chilled container (if you can resist) and freeze overnight to allow flavors to develop. This will keep frozen for about 2 weeks.
*Note: If using real vanilla bean, make sure to steep the scrapped bean and the pod in the dairy, most of the flavor is in the pod! When done steeping, remove the pod from the dairy after portioning batter, but do not throw out! Simply rinse the bean, pat dry and add to 2 cups of granulated sugar. Seal in container and allow to sit for a week or so. This will make vanilla flavored sugar! Great way to get all the use you can from a vanilla bean!