Army veteran gunned down on Hampton street
Nearly 24 hours after someone gunned down Army veteran Jamie Michael Combs on Bethel Avenue in Hampton, friends, neighbors and police are puzzled by the mystery of a murder.
“Of all people, why did it have to be him?” said Dara Durham, a high school friend of Combs’. “They took somebody from their mother and their brother. They took somebody from their community that they grew up in.”
Police say Combs was shot several times just yards away from his home before midnight Sunday. They do not have a motive or suspects.
“This village around here raised Jamie, so if you were to go and talk to this village, the village would say he’s done nothing to nobody to make anyone wanna do anything like this to him,” Durham said.
Combs’ family did not want to speak on camera, but told NewsChannel 3 Combs was in the Army and had returned from Iraq about a year ago.
“He was serving our country,” said Durham. “What greater job to have than that, to have the opportunity to serve our country. How can you take somebody away that’s done that?”
Anyone with information is asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- "Katherine" the 14-foot-long shark could be headed to Virginia Beach
- Who wrote it -- man or woman? Take our handwriting quiz!