Update: Newport News mom charged after leaving four kids home alone
Newport News police have charged a woman accused of leaving her four children home alone.
Neighbors say there has to be a mistake.
Four children, all under the age of seven – left home alone.
The youngest was just six months old.
Police say their mother, 24-year-old Shante Payne, left them on their own inside her apartment.
Newport News police were called to the home on Garden Drive after a neighbor walking by heard a child crying through an open door.
Officers say Payne came back 20 minutes later and told them she had only been gone a few minutes. A neighbor tells NewsChannel 3 she thinks this is all a big misunderstanding.
Police charged Payne with three counts of child neglect, and one count of contributing to the deliquency of a minor.
The children were not hurt, and are being cared for by relatives.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- UPDATE: "Katherine" the Great White Shark spotted in the surf off Kitty Hawk
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- Some mail sent to sailors aboard the USS Harry S. Truman was lost at sea