Update: Newport News mom charged after leaving four kids home alone
Newport News police have charged a woman accused of leaving her four children home alone.
Neighbors say there has to be a mistake.
Four children, all under the age of seven – left home alone.
The youngest was just six months old.
Police say their mother, 24-year-old Shante Payne, left them on their own inside her apartment.
Newport News police were called to the home on Garden Drive after a neighbor walking by heard a child crying through an open door.
Officers say Payne came back 20 minutes later and told them she had only been gone a few minutes. A neighbor tells NewsChannel 3 she thinks this is all a big misunderstanding.
Police charged Payne with three counts of child neglect, and one count of contributing to the deliquency of a minor.
The children were not hurt, and are being cared for by relatives.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Virginia Beach teen killed in six-car crash on I-64 in Hampton
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million