Mike Oyer, original member of SEAL Team 6, loses battle with ALS
Michael Oyer, a former Virginia Beach Navy SEAL, passed away Sunday night after a hard fought battle with ALS.
Oyer began showing symptoms of ALS in 2006, and was officially diagnosed with the disease in 2007. NewsChannel 3 has been following Oyer and his family’s efforts to raise money for ALS research for several years. ALS, or Lou Gherig’s disease, attacks motor neurons and slowly chips away at one’s ability to speak, walk, talk and breath. There is no known cause or cure.
Valerie Oyer, Michael’s wife, has asked that instead of flowers, donations be made to the Frog Hollow Warriors Team for the Virginia Beach Walk to Defeat ALS. The walk will be held September 16, 2012 at Mount Trashmore.
View our past coverage of Mike and his family here:
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Suffolk mom targeted by online child porn scam
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket