Former Beach high school teacher accused of spanking is now behind bars
A former Virginia Beach high school teacher accused of spanking a student, never made it to his trial this morning.
Prosecutors say he suffered a mental breakdown.
Authorities say Michael Shanklin was taken to the Peninsula Regional Jail. Officials say his bond was revoked before he was able to check himself into a medical facility for an evaluation.
His trial on charges of felony abduction and sexual assault was originally scheduled to begin today.
Shanklin was a math teacher at Landstown High School.
He’s accused of spanking a female student with a belt in a classroom, because she didn’t complete a homework assignment. Prosecutors say they expect to file more charges against Shanklin.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations