Former Beach high school teacher accused of spanking is now behind bars
A former Virginia Beach high school teacher accused of spanking a student, never made it to his trial this morning.
Prosecutors say he suffered a mental breakdown.
Authorities say Michael Shanklin was taken to the Peninsula Regional Jail. Officials say his bond was revoked before he was able to check himself into a medical facility for an evaluation.
His trial on charges of felony abduction and sexual assault was originally scheduled to begin today.
Shanklin was a math teacher at Landstown High School.
He’s accused of spanking a female student with a belt in a classroom, because she didn’t complete a homework assignment. Prosecutors say they expect to file more charges against Shanklin.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales