Former Beach high school teacher accused of spanking is now behind bars
A former Virginia Beach high school teacher accused of spanking a student, never made it to his trial this morning.
Prosecutors say he suffered a mental breakdown.
Authorities say Michael Shanklin was taken to the Peninsula Regional Jail. Officials say his bond was revoked before he was able to check himself into a medical facility for an evaluation.
His trial on charges of felony abduction and sexual assault was originally scheduled to begin today.
Shanklin was a math teacher at Landstown High School.
He’s accused of spanking a female student with a belt in a classroom, because she didn’t complete a homework assignment. Prosecutors say they expect to file more charges against Shanklin.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- UPDATE: Crews free stuck cargo ship