Former Beach high school teacher accused of spanking is now behind bars
A former Virginia Beach high school teacher accused of spanking a student, never made it to his trial this morning.
Prosecutors say he suffered a mental breakdown.
Authorities say Michael Shanklin was taken to the Peninsula Regional Jail. Officials say his bond was revoked before he was able to check himself into a medical facility for an evaluation.
His trial on charges of felony abduction and sexual assault was originally scheduled to begin today.
Shanklin was a math teacher at Landstown High School.
He’s accused of spanking a female student with a belt in a classroom, because she didn’t complete a homework assignment. Prosecutors say they expect to file more charges against Shanklin.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- UPDATE: "Katherine" the Great White Shark spotted in the surf off Kitty Hawk
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- Some mail sent to sailors aboard the USS Harry S. Truman was lost at sea