Agents seize nearly 20 gallons of moonshine from home in Southampton
According to a press release, special agents have arrested and charged 77-year-old Shelton “Buck” Harris after they seized nearly 20 gallons of moonshine—illegally distilled alcohol— from his home on Tennessee Road in Drewryville.
Agents conducted an undercover investigation that started months ago. They received a tip to the Southampton County Sheriff’s Office according to Robert M. Brooks, Special Agent in charge of ABC’s Hampton Regional Office.
Agents seized 17 full, one-gallon plastic jugs, one partial jug and several mason jars of moonshine. They also seized $366.60 and two shotguns.
The release states that Harris did not manufacture the moonshine, and no still was found.
The investigation of the source continues.
Harris has been charged with three counts of selling alcohol without a license, three counts of maintaining a common nuisance and four counts of the illegal possession of untaxed distilled spirits, all misdemeanor charges.
Agents say there was no indication of a shot house.
Harris was released on his personal recognizance for a later appearance in Southampton County General District Court.Submit Your Photo
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words