City plan: expand a road; possibly lose home
Some Folks in Hampton are worried about a proposed road widening project that may cause them to lose their property…or their house!
The city wants to spend close to $20 million to add a lane in each direction of Saunders Road from Big Bethel Road to Westview Drive.
To get this done though, they may have to cut in to people’s properties or even buy and remove up to 20 homes that would be in the way.
“The church will lose a good bit of it’s parking lot and it sets back further and has more to lose”, says Pastor Wayne Lewis of the Saunders Road Church of the Nazarene.
The city says about 10,000 vehicles travel down Saunders every day, but, they say, the numbers are expected to more than double to 24,000 in the next 20 years.
The city will be having a public hearing on this project before anything is made final.
However, if that project happens, property acquisition could begin as early as this fall, and construction would begin in late 2014.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time